Let me start by saying I don't typically create recipes. I mostly cook other people's recipes, or I just cook really simply - no recipe required. But somehow my morning smoothie morphed into my own creation, and today I'm sharing it with you.
My inspiration comes from Against All Grain's creamy chocolate avocado smoothie. I was making her smoothie but was having to swap several ingredients since I suspected that almonds were causing my eczema to flare. Then, I started adding more ingredients as I began working on hormone balancing with my nutrition coach. And then I was pouring my smoothie into a bowl to practice more mindful eating....and voila! My smoothie bowl recipe was born.
This recipe is so versatile. You can throw in any protein powder or supplements that you typically take. You'll notice that I don't add any sweetener, though the bee pollen does provide a little sweetness. I don't typically eat sugar, so I like it as is, but you can easily add in honey or a couple of dates to make it a little sweeter.
Chocolate Avocado Smoothie Bowl
- 1 cup coconut water (I use Harmless Harvest. You can use just plain ole water or any nut milk you prefer here. Choose milks with no added sugar.)
- 1/2 avocado
- 2 tablespoons raw cacao
- 1/2 cup ice
- optional 1 scoop collagen (or any other protein powder/supplement you usually use)
- optional 1 teaspoon local bee pollen (I add this to help with seasonal allergies. If you've never used bee pollen, check with your doctor first and start with only a few granules at a time to make sure you don't have an allergic reaction.)
Hormone balancing ingredients (using seed rotation):
- Day 1-14 of your cycle, the follicular phase
- 1 tablespoon flax seed
- 1 tablespoon raw pumpkin seeds
- Day 15-30 of your cycle, the luteal phase
- 1 tablespoon sunflower seeds (I use SunButter sunflower seed butter.)
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- optional 1 scoop daily maca plus for women (I think this stuff is amazing, and it has a whole host of benefits!)
- Add your liquid base first, then all other ingredients with ice on top.
- Blend for 60 seconds or until smooth.
- Top with cacao nibs and unsweetened shredded coconut. You can also add fresh fruit or granola.
Let me know what you think! Tag your smoothie bowl creations on social media using #thesturdylife.
**Note: You can find most of these ingredients in the grocery store. My links are Amazon affiliate links, meaning I get a small kickback if you purchase through any of these links. Thank you!
Need support along your wellness journey?